Since children under the age of 17 cannot legally consent to sexual intercourse in Texas, any sexual activity involving a minor can lead to a criminal charge and serious penalties.
If you were recently arrested or accused of sexual assault of a child, a conviction can result in a lengthy prison sentence, expensive fines, and registration as a sexual offender for the rest of your life, which can permanently ruin your personal and professional reputation.
At Edgett Law Firm, we are committed to protecting your rights, reputation, and future. Schedule a free consultation with an experienced Plano sexual assault lawyer today at (972) 635-4224.
Sexual Assault of a Child Penalties
Sexual assault is considered a second-degree felony, punishable by a maximum prison sentence of 20 years, a fine of up to $10,000, and the requirement to register as a sex offender for life after release from prison.
However, this charge may be elevated to that of aggravated sexual assault if any of the following occur during the commission of the sexual assault crime:
- The offender has caused serious bodily harm or attempted to cause the death of the victim
- The offender placed the victim in fear of death or serious bodily injury
- The offender kidnaps the victim for his or herself, or to another person
- The offender used or exhibited a deadly weapon during the crime
- The offender acted with another person in committing the crime
- The offender used a “date rape drug”
- The victim is younger than 14 years old
Aggravated sexual is a first-degree felony, which is punishable by a maximum prison sentence of 99 years with a minimum sentence of 25 years.
Request a Free Case Evaluation Today
Getting convicted of any type of sex crime involving a child will change your life forever. Once you finish your time in prison and pay your fine, you must still face the humiliation of registering as a sexual offender and experience difficulties finding employment or a place to live.
Do not risk going up against these charges without experienced and skilled legal representation. Call our criminal defense lawyers today to begin planning your defense immediately.