When it comes to drug crimes, Texas is one of the harshest states in the country in terms of punishing the possession or sale of hard narcotics—especially heroin.
Defendants could face state jail felonies for possessing less than a gram of heroin. State jail felonies carry sentences of 6 months to 2 years, along with fines of up to $10,000.
If you were charged with one of these crimes, you need help from the Plano drug crime defense lawyer at the Edgett Law Firm. Our team knows how to fight for your rights and help you protect your future
Schedule your free consultation with our firm by calling (972) 424-0760 or contacting our team online.
For heroin sale, you could be face a life sentence for selling just 4 grams or more. These are not minor penalties. Texas takes heroin crimes seriously, and you should too.
For heroin possession, you could face:
- Less than 1 gram: state jail felony (6 months to 2 years imprisonment)
- 1 to 4 grams: third-degree felony (2-10 years imprisonment and up to $10,000 in fines)
- 4-200 grams: second-degree felony (2-20 years imprisonment and up to $10,000 in fines)
- 200-400 grams: first-degree felony (5-99 years imprisonment, or a life sentence)
- Over 400 grams: 10 years imprisonment minimum, up to a life sentence or 99 years (includes a $100,000 fine)
When Heroin Crimes Become Federal Offenses
While an arrest made by federal officers will automatically fall under federal jurisdiction, possession of heroin in any amount could be considered a federal crime.
Federal charges come with far harsher penalties, including mandatory minimums for trafficking. If you are found guilty of intent to distribute with 100 grams of heroin, you’re facing at least 5-20 years in federal prison.
At the Edgett Law Firm, we have experience defending against drug charges in both state and federal court. We have given our clients their freedom and peace of mind by reducing their penalties or, in some cases, even having their charges dropped altogether. As one of the top-rated heroin crime defense lawyers in Plano, our legal team is ready to clear your name and protect your future.
Read about our past successes here. Call (972) 424-0760 to get started.